Wednesday 15 April 2020

House Arrest

Instead of Andalucia, the Chilterns and Dorset, the lockdown has meant Manor Farm, Coldharbour Farm, Belle Isle Farm and Court Farm at points east, west, north and south out of the village along footpaths no more than a couple of miles from home.  As I went, I counted flowering plants, just under 40 in each direction, but in aggregate over 70 in the last 10 days.   All of course common, and in another year I would have ignored them, but in these strange times....












In addition five butterflies (Orange-tip, Brimstone, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and Small White) four mammals (Roe Deer, Grey Squirrel, Rabbit, Hare), and at least 20 birds including a flock of maybe a hundred or more fieldfare, getting ready to fly north.

I found leaves of three orchids (Common twayblade, Common spotted, and Pyramidal) - I could be studying them quite intensively this year, being only a couple of kilometers away and within walking distance, whilst my normal study areas are out of bounds.







1 comment:

  1. Well done for keeping going. I may have to rename my blog "Insects of Raasay".

    ReplyDelete